If you are like most people, you have been procrastinating on something that needs to get done. In fact, I bet right this minute, you could name at least three things you’ve been putting off for at least six months, like losing weight, or sorting receipts for taxes, or even asking for a raise?
Have you noticed that the more you procrastinate, the more you engage in negative self-talk? The undone tasks loom in our mind, sending us messages that we are lazy, afraid, incapable, etc.
We can buy into these negative messages, or take action and get things done.
- Make a list of all the tasks you have been putting off.
- Prioritize what is most important and what can wait.
- From your list of important things, determine what can be completed easily and what requires more time and effort.
- Create action steps to accomplish each task (small steps).
- Monitor progress and scratch completed items off your list.
- Get the support you need. If you are uncertain of the best way to approach a task, ask a friend – or an expert.
- Plan rewards and celebrations for accomplishing small and large tasks.
Make your list today and start taking action. Ready? Set? GO!